MIKROTAX API Client Side Demo
I have created a minimal API for the mikrotax website - the objective is that a request for data on a taxon name will return the key data on it, including data to make stable links and to enable use of image thumbnails from the site.
- The request needs to be sent in the form www.mikrotax.org/sytem/api?name=taxon&db=main
- Name - can be any taxon name in the mikrotax system. Replace spaces with %20
- Name - can also take a numeric ID e.g. 225
- db - this must be, either cat to retrieve the entry in the catalog of original descriptions, or main for entries in the main database of working taxonomy
- The routine will attempt to match alternate gender endings for species names (e.g minimus and minima, bolli and bollii) and for main database searches try to trace synonyms (e.g. a search for Prediscosphaera lata in the main database will return Prediscosphaera cretacea)
- It should be straightforward to use this api to provide links from the site. To make an html link to a page on mikrotax it is simplest to use the id - thus links of the form http://www.mikrotax.org/pforams/index.php?id=104181. With this form there is no need to specify main or catalog database since this is implicit in the id.
- Using ids instead of names - although the demo page does not show this, you can use a numeric id instead of the name & db combination. e.g www.mikrotax.org/sytem/api?id=50025
- The result is returned as a JSON object.
- Please let me know if you use this api, and feel free to ask if you want it to do something different. Jeremy
- The form below shows the results sent by the api
Acknowledgements: I developed this api using a blog posting on shareurcodes